The Diamond in ON Semiconductor
- Posted by Greg Harmon
- on March 25th, 2014
I posted a chart to twitter over the weekend on On Semiconductor, $ONNN. I drew out the Diamond you see below. It has a move of $1.50, from 8 to 9.50 into the pattern as noted in the arrow. Many were quick to suggest that it will break down and close the gap to 8 as Diamonds are topping patterns. That may happen. But technically a Diamond is a consolidation pattern and can break out to the upside as a continuation as well. The technical set up seems to suggest the downside with a Relative Strength Index (RSI) that is falling and a MACD doing the same. But if you look at the accumulation distribution statistic it is on the lows where the stock has rebounded from in the past. Should it break to the upside then a target near 11 would be in hand. So how do you prepare for this? Using the stock you wait for the break out to happen and enter on the trigger either long or short. If you are comfortable with options then buying the April 9/10 Strangle (offered at 30 cents, buy both the April 9 Put and April 10 Call) is a cheap defined risk way to play for a move no matter which way it goes. You will lose though if it just keeps heading sideways as time value decays.
Get my book, Trading Options: Using Technical Analysis to Design Winning Options Trades from Amazon.
Want to learn more about Dragonfly Capital Views?
Dragonfly Capital Views Performance Through March 2014 Expiry and sign up
If you like what you see above sign up for deeper analysis and trading strategy by using the Get Premium button above. As always you can see details of individual charts and more on my StockTwits page.
The information in this blog post represents my own opinions and does not contain a recommendation for any particular security or investment. I or my affiliates may hold positions or other interests in securities mentioned in the Blog, please see my Disclaimer page for my full disclaimer.blog comments powered by Disqus
Gregory W. Harmon CMT, CFA, has traded since 1986 and held senior positions including Head of Global Trading, Head of Product Development, Head of Strategy and Director of Equity. (More)
- Premium Earnings 2-22-17: Cheesecake Factory and HP
- Momentum Points to Sector Rotation toward the Russell 2000
- Premium Earnings 2-21-17: TJX
- 4 Trade Ideas in Goldman Sachs: Bonus Idea
- 5 Trade Ideas for Tuesday: Commerce Bancshares, Cirrus Logic, McCormick, Ulta Beauty and Union Pacific
- Top Trade Ideas for the Week of February 21, 2017: The Rest Premium
- Top Trade Ideas for the Week of February 21, 2017: The Best
- SPY Trends and Influencers February 18, 2017
- Macro Week in Review/Preview February 17, 2017
- How This Week’s Top 10 Performed, February 17, 2017
Dragonfly Capital Updates