Financials Want to be the New Leaders
- Posted by Greg Harmon
- on April 25th, 2013
The Financial Select Sector SPDR, $XLF, has been a dog of a stock since the quick rebound after the financial crisis. A quick look at the weekly chart shows the long channel between the 23.6% and 38.2% Fibonacci retracements from July 2009 until January of this year. The break out higher is has not been that exciting to some, but should be in the proper context. The long consolidation suggests a long move higher. The first target, looking at the run from 6 to the consolidation would take it to 20, just above the 50% retracement area. Looking at the downsloping Gann Lines from the top, the move beyond the 1/2 line that
it followed the entire way lower triggered a rapid move through the higher level lines. It is time to throw that one away and focus on the rising Gann Lines. These show how sharp the initial move was along the 1/8 line and then a touch at the 4/1 line before settling at the 3/1 line. But notice that it is rising above the 3/1 line now as well, accelerating. Both the Fibonacci and Gann views give a positive perspective going forward for the XLF, supplementing the straight rising price action.
Join the Dragonfly Capital Views Premium Membership
Want to learn more about Dragonfly Capital Views?
Dragonfly Capital Views Performance Through April 2013 Expiry and sign up here.
If you like what you see above sign up for deeper analysis and trading strategy by using the Get Premium button above. As always you can see details of individual charts and more on my StockTwits page.
The information in this blog post represents my own opinions and does not contain a recommendation for any particular security or investment. I or my affiliates may hold positions or other interests in securities mentioned in the Blog, please see my Disclaimer page for my full disclaimer.blog comments powered by Disqus
Gregory W. Harmon CMT, CFA, has traded since 1986 and held senior positions including Head of Global Trading, Head of Product Development, Head of Strategy and Director of Equity. (More)
- Premium Earnings 2-21-17: TJX
- 4 Trade Ideas in Goldman Sachs: Bonus Idea
- 5 Trade Ideas for Tuesday: Commerce Bancshares, Cirrus Logic, McCormick, Ulta Beauty and Union Pacific
- Top Trade Ideas for the Week of February 21, 2017: The Rest Premium
- Top Trade Ideas for the Week of February 21, 2017: The Best
- SPY Trends and Influencers February 18, 2017
- Macro Week in Review/Preview February 17, 2017
- How This Week’s Top 10 Performed, February 17, 2017
- Premium Earnings 2-17-17: Home Depot and Walmart
- The Dow, 22000 and Overbought Readings
Dragonfly Capital Updates