The 200 Day Moving Average Says Buckle Up
- Posted by Greg Harmon
- on November 8th, 2012
There are many tools technical traders use to look for confirmation of moves, trends and reversals. One I use is the percentage of stocks that are trading over their 200 day Simple moving Average (SMA). The chart below shows this for the last 9 years with the area chart behind it being the S&P 500 for comparison. Notice first that the two are very highly correlated. But also notice that the bottoms in the market have occurred when the percentage of stocks over their 200 day SMA has
shrunk to at least 45%. This was the level in the relatively calm 2004 to 2007 period. Since then it has been much lower with the 4 bottoms coming at levels of 1, 26, and 8 before the 45 in June. At a level of 60.80 today this implies there is room for a lot more downside. One indicator, one view, but not a favorable one.
Join the Dragonfly Capital Views Premium Membership
Sign up here to get deeper analysis and nearly 50 trade ideas every week.
If you like what you see above sign up for deeper analysis and trading strategy by using the Get Premium button above. As always you can see details of individual charts and more on my StockTwits page.
The information in this blog post represents my own opinions and does not contain a recommendation for any particular security or investment. I or my affiliates may hold positions or other interests in securities mentioned in the Blog, please see my Disclaimer page for my full disclaimer.blog comments powered by Disqus
Gregory W. Harmon CMT, CFA, has traded since 1986 and held senior positions including Head of Global Trading, Head of Product Development, Head of Strategy and Director of Equity. (More)
- Premium Earnings 2-22-17: Cheesecake Factory and HP
- Momentum Points to Sector Rotation toward the Russell 2000
- Premium Earnings 2-21-17: TJX
- 4 Trade Ideas in Goldman Sachs: Bonus Idea
- 5 Trade Ideas for Tuesday: Commerce Bancshares, Cirrus Logic, McCormick, Ulta Beauty and Union Pacific
- Top Trade Ideas for the Week of February 21, 2017: The Rest Premium
- Top Trade Ideas for the Week of February 21, 2017: The Best
- SPY Trends and Influencers February 18, 2017
- Macro Week in Review/Preview February 17, 2017
- How This Week’s Top 10 Performed, February 17, 2017
Dragonfly Capital Updates