Sharks Circling the US Dollar
- Posted by Greg Harmon
- on June 30th, 2016
The US Dollar got a shot in the arm with the Brexit vote last week. A sharp two day move higher took the US Dollar Index back towards the top of the long consolidation range between 92 and 100. But since then it has stalled and pulled back. What is next for the Greenback?
Despite the pullback the prognosis for the Dollar Index in the short term is still positive. This may not be what Equity bulls want to heat as the pair have held a negative correlation the past week. But the chart is telling a story.
The movement in the Dollar Index since the beginning of June has traced out a bearish Shark harmonic. The pattern reached its Potential Reversal Zone (PRZ) Monday as it touched the 200 day SMA. Now the pullback has retraced about 23.6% of the pattern, and it would have a target of either 95.27 (38.2%) or 94.39 (61.8%), also the 50 day SMA.
So long as either holds a reversal higher would look for a move to another higher high. A Measured Move would look for a run up to 99 if the 38.2% level holds. Not out of the long consolidation, but back to the top of the range.
Want to learn more about Dragonfly Capital Views?
Dragonfly Capital Views Performance Through June 2016 and sign up here.
If you like what you see above sign up for deeper analysis and trading strategy by using the Get Premium button above. As always you can see details of individual charts and more on my StockTwits page.
The information in this blog post represents my own opinions and does not contain a recommendation for any particular security or investment. I or my affiliates may hold positions or other interests in securities mentioned in the Blog, please see my Disclaimer page for my full disclaimer.blog comments powered by Disqus
Gregory W. Harmon CMT, CFA, has traded since 1986 and held senior positions including Head of Global Trading, Head of Product Development, Head of Strategy and Director of Equity. (More)
- Emerging Markets Giving the Finger to a Correction
- Premium Earnings 3-27-17: Red Hat and Darden
- 4 Trades for the Upside in Wells Fargo: Bonus Idea
- 5 Trade Ideas for Monday: Electronic Arts, Envision Healthcare, Olin, T-Mobile and Westmoreland Coal
- Top Trade Ideas for the Week of March 27, 2017: The Rest Premium
- Top Trade Ideas for the Week of March 27, 2017: The Best
- SPY Trends and Influencers March 25, 2017
- Macro Week in Review/Preview March 24, 2017
- How This Week’s Top 10 Performed, March 24, 2017
- The Pitchforks are Out
Dragonfly Capital Updates