Oil Services vs Crude Oil
- Posted by Greg Harmon
- on May 30th, 2013
Oil Services stocks ($OIH) have looked good as a group lately, especially the large cap names. But with a volatile market it has been difficult to find the right entry without getting stopped out. One way to deal with this is to enter using a pairs trade. A ratio that I track, the oil Services ETF against the United States Oil Fund ($USO) offers a good trade opportunity. The ratio below shows a breakout of the blue box of consolidation and some separation from the 61.8% Fibonacci retracement of the fast move lower in 2011. The next Fibonacci levels at 1.415 and then 1.478 are good initial targets. The Relative Strength Index (RSI) is supportive of a move higher and the Moving Average Convergence Divergence indicator (MACD) looks to be ready to turn higher in support as well.
Using 100 shares of OIH long against each short 135 shares of USO with a stop on the ratio below 1.31 gives a reward to risk ratio of 2.5:1 to just the first target. Put another way, this trade nets $250 at 1.415 vs a loss of $100 if stopped out.
Want to learn more about Dragonfly Capital Views?Dragonfly Capital Views Performance Through May 2013 Expiry and sign up here.
If you like what you see above sign up for deeper analysis and trading strategy by using the Get Premium button above. As always you can see details of individual charts and more on my StockTwits page.
The information in this blog post represents my own opinions and does not contain a recommendation for any particular security or investment. I or my affiliates may hold positions or other interests in securities mentioned in the Blog, please see my Disclaimer page for my full disclaimer.blog comments powered by Disqus
Gregory W. Harmon CMT, CFA, has traded since 1986 and held senior positions including Head of Global Trading, Head of Product Development, Head of Strategy and Director of Equity. (More)
- Premium Earnings 3-27-17: Red Hat and Darden
- 4 Trades for the Upside in Wells Fargo: Bonus Idea
- 5 Trade Ideas for Monday: Electronic Arts, Envision Healthcare, Olin, T-Mobile and Westmoreland Coal
- Top Trade Ideas for the Week of March 27, 2017: The Rest Premium
- Top Trade Ideas for the Week of March 27, 2017: The Best
- SPY Trends and Influencers March 25, 2017
- Macro Week in Review/Preview March 24, 2017
- How This Week’s Top 10 Performed, March 24, 2017
- The Pitchforks are Out
- Premium Earnings 3-23-17: KB Home and Micron Technology
Dragonfly Capital Updates