Emerging Markets Are Ready To Show Some Strength
- Posted by Greg Harmon
- on June 11th, 2013
Relative Strength that is. The ratio chart of the S&P 500 SPDR, $SPY, against the iShares MSCI Emerging Market ETF, $EEM, below shows the story. During this latest run higher in the SPY, the EEM has been taking it on the chin, off over 11%. And it looks set up to continue lower still. But the ratio is another story. At the top of the rising channel, with a Relative Strength Index (RSI) that is technically overbought and a Moving Average Convergence Divergence indicator (MACD) is at new highs. You can see from the chart that the last time the ratio was in this situation it corrected sideways
for some time before a move lower. And it could do so again. Rather than playing for the SPY to fall or for the EEM to rise, why not play the pair for the correction? By selling 100 share of SPY for every 400 shares of EEM long you have a means of playing this correction. Should the ratio move outside of the channel, over 4.15 stop the trade, and look at the gaps in the chart at 3.90 and 3.6 as well as the bottom rail of the channel as places to take profits.
Join the Dragonfly Capital Views Premium Membership
Want to learn more about Dragonfly Capital Views?Dragonfly Capital Views Performance Through May 2013 Expiry and sign up here.
If you like what you see above sign up for deeper analysis and trading strategy by using the Get Premium button above. As always you can see details of individual charts and more on my StockTwits page.
The information in this blog post represents my own opinions and does not contain a recommendation for any particular security or investment. I or my affiliates may hold positions or other interests in securities mentioned in the Blog, please see my Disclaimer page for my full disclaimer.blog comments powered by Disqus
Gregory W. Harmon CMT, CFA, has traded in the Securities markets since 1986. He has held senior positions including Head of Global Trading, Head of Product Development, Head of Strategy and Director of Equity. (More)
- The Cup Looks Full on Sally Beauty Holdings
- My Thoughts on A Possible Pullback on the S&P 500 (video)
- Top Trade Ideas for the Week of September 15, 2014: Bonus Idea
- Top Trade Ideas for the Week of September 15, 2014: The Rest
- Top Trade Ideas for the Week of September 15, 2014: The Rest Premium
- Top Trade Ideas for the Week of September 15, 2014: The Best
- SPY Trends and Influencers September 13, 2014
- Macro Week in Review/Preview September 12, 2014
- How to Adjust to the Roller Coaster Market
- Watching DirecTV for a Sunday Ticket Higher