Top 5 Reasons the Japanese Market is Overdone
- Posted by Greg Harmon
- on April 26th, 2013
Sentiment on the Japanese stock market seems to be very bullish. Analysts left and right are coming out with buy recommendations. Contrarian players would take that sentiment as a signal to sell the market. Generally I do not recommend taking any kind of action, especially contrarian, based on sentiment alone, but in this case I can see 5 other reasons that support the case for a selloff in the near term in the weekly chart below of the Japan iShares ETF, $EWJ.
Japan iShares ETF, $EWJ
1. The Price completed a Bearish Crab Harmonic at 11.39. A move back lower has an Initial Price Objective of 10.39 on a 38.2% retracement of the pattern.
2. The Relative Strength Index (RSI) is technically overbought and getting to be extreme at 85.
3. The Moving Average Convergence Divergence indicator (MACD) signal line is also in extreme territory, well above the last 3 peaks.
4. Price is 20% away from the Simple moving Averages (SMA). using the 50 week SMA it has led to major corrections the only two other times it has occurred in the last 10 years.
5. The SMA are tightly bunched. This can often lead to a big move.
Remember I did say that it is not wise to trade purely off of sentiment, and these indicators I have pointed out also need to be confirmed before any action is taken. An RSI at 85 can still go to 90 or 95, an extreme MACD can get more extreme and price get continue to extend. Wait for the reversal signals but be prepared and watching.
Join the Dragonfly Capital Views Premium Membership
Want to learn more about Dragonfly Capital Views?
Dragonfly Capital Views Performance Through April 2013 Expiry and sign up here.
If you like what you see above sign up for deeper analysis and trading strategy by using the Get Premium button above. As always you can see details of individual charts and more on my StockTwits page.
The information in this blog post represents my own opinions and does not contain a recommendation for any particular security or investment. I or my affiliates may hold positions or other interests in securities mentioned in the Blog, please see my Disclaimer page for my full disclaimer.blog comments powered by Disqus
Gregory W. Harmon CMT, CFA, has traded in the Securities markets since 1986. He has held senior positions including Head of Global Trading, Head of Product Development, Head of Strategy and Director of Equity. (More)
Dragonfly Capital Updates
- The Next Large Cap Stock You Need to Own: Colgate-Palmolive
- Premium Earnings 12-9-13
- Top Trade Ideas for the Week of December 9, 2013: Bonus Idea
- Top Trade Ideas for the Week of December 9, 2013: The Rest
- Top Trade Ideas for the Week of December 9, 2013: The Rest Premium
- Top Trade Ideas for the Week of December 9, 2013: The Best
- SPY Trends and Influencers December 7, 2013
- Cleveland’s Best Linkfest
- Macro Week in Review/Preview December 6, 2013
- With The US Market in the Dumps Turn To China (Part III)