Examining the Gold to Bonds Ratio
- Posted by Greg Harmon
- on November 9th, 2012
Gold priced in Bonds has been trending lower since topping in mid September. The ratio chart below using the ETF’s of Gold ($GLD) vs US Treasuries ($TLT) shows that downtrending channel. There are a few key areas coming up to watch for a potential change of character. First the bottom of the channel, currently at a ratio of 1.30. Next the 100 day Simple Moving Average (SMA) at 1.31. Third the 50% Fibonacci retracement at 1.31. Next the remainder of the gap between 1.33 and
1.30. you get the picture, the 1.30 level is important. A move below 1.30, breaking the channel would be very bearish with a target of 1.22 or another 6% lower. There is 61.8% Fibonacci at 1.28 along the way and another gap to 1.24 as possible support. But all indicators support further downside. It would take a move over 1.35 to change that thinking and over the top of the channel, currently at 1.39 to reverse it to a bullish bias. Until then more weakness for Golds in terms of Bonds.
Join the Dragonfly Capital Views Premium Membership
Sign up here to get deeper analysis and nearly 50 trade ideas every week.
If you like what you see above sign up for deeper analysis and trading strategy by using the Get Premium button above. As always you can see details of individual charts and more on my StockTwits page.
The information in this blog post represents my own opinions and does not contain a recommendation for any particular security or investment. I or my affiliates may hold positions or other interests in securities mentioned in the Blog, please see my Disclaimer page for my full disclaimer.blog comments powered by Disqus
Gregory W. Harmon CMT, CFA, has traded in the Securities markets since 1986. He has held senior positions including Head of Global Trading, Head of Product Development, Head of Strategy and Director of Equity. (More)
- Truckers Stocks Keep on Truckin’ Higher
- Weekend Macro Roundup
- Top Trade Ideas for the Week of September 2, 2014: Bonus Idea
- Top Trade Ideas for the Week of September 2, 2014: The Rest
- Top Trade Ideas for the Week of September 2, 2014: The Rest Premium
- Top Trade Ideas for the Week of September 2, 2014: The Best
- Should Trading and Investing Really Not be Fun?
- SPY Trends and Influencers: Monthly Edition August into September 2014
- SPY Trends and Influencers August 30, 2014
- Macro Month in Review/Preview August into September 2014