Macro Month in Review/Preview July into August 2012
- Posted by Greg Harmon
- on July 31st, 2012
Last month in this space my Monthly Macro Review/Preview heading into the back half of the year the monthly outlook suggested downside for Gold and consolidation for Copper, while Crude Oil looked lower with Natural Gas rebounding, reversing their long term positions. US Treasuries and the US Dollar Index looked ready to continue higher. The Shanghai Composite and Emerging Markets looked to continue to consolidate or move lower while the DAX consolidated with an upside bias. Volatility could go either way but looked to remain above the lower range experienced in the last six months with the VIX in a wide range between 15 and 28. Despite the strength of the Dollar Index and Treasuries, the Equity Index ETF’s SPY, IWM and QQQ were set up to continue higher in the coming months. There was also a caution that it is not likely that Treasuries, the Dollar Index and Equities all continue higher for long, so look for signs of a breakdown. How does an additional month impact the longer term picture? Let’s look at some charts.
Subscribe to read the rest of this article.
Already a member? Sign in here.
The information in this blog post represents my own opinions and does not contain a recommendation for any particular security or investment. I or my affiliates may hold positions or other interests in securities mentioned in the Blog, please see my Disclaimer page for my full disclaimer.blog comments powered by Disqus
Gregory W. Harmon CMT, CFA, has traded in the Securities markets since 1986. He has held senior positions including Head of Global Trading, Head of Product Development, Head of Strategy and Director of Equity. (More)
- Watching Key Long Term Trend in the Nikkei
- Downed Jets, Ukraine Conflict and Gaza Battle – JP Morgan Says ‘So What’
- Premium Earnings 7-21-14
- Top Trade Ideas for the Week of July 21, 2014: Bonus Idea
- Top Trade Ideas for the Week of July 21, 2014: The Rest
- Top Trade Ideas for the Week of July 21, 2014: The Rest Premium
- Top Trade Ideas for the Week of July 21, 2014: The Best
- What the Pro’s Read on Dragonfly Capital This Week
- SPY Trends and Influencers July 19, 2014
- Cleveland’s Best Linkfest!